Technology obsessed #textingatdinner

A husband and wife sit together at a romantic table for dinner staring intensely into…their smart phones. They focused on their cool, free apps that it takes their waitress five times to get their attention and to take their order.

Now, this scene doesn’t seem right, does it? People these days are forgetting their manners and becoming more rude, especially when at the dinner table. I remember when texting at the table was looked down upon and it still is in my family. People are paying more attention to their phones when they shouldn’t be out during dinner anyway.

From working at a restaurant, I constantly see couples, families and friends all on their phones. Since when has it been okay for technology to replace quality human-to-human contact? People seem too preoccupied with their phones than with the people right in front of them.

Not only are people too busy on their phones, but are also becoming distracted with their iPads, Kindles, tablets or whatever touch screen block they decide to carry around.

More alarmingly, I see more kids given iPads by their parents so they can stay occupied. What happened to family conversation?

I understand that kids are loud and quite the handful, but shoving an iPad in front of their face and making them play Cut the Rope for an hour and a half isn’t going to help them. If children were actually involved in their family dinners then maybe, in the long run, they won’t be so technology obsessed.

I completely understand that the technology advances as of right now in 2011 are insanely impressive. The iPhone is literally an invention sent from the gods and I, as well as many others,  am in love with my smart phone.

I also understand that people have very busy social lives. Phones are used to contact people and sometimes there are emergencies or business that needs to be maintained.

However, its rude to show the person that you’re with that there are more important things than him. Your companion took the time out of his day to meet you for a nice lunch. The last thing he wants to see is you ignoring him by talking to the people that you may rather want to be with.

It’s important, respectful and just proper etiquette to put your phone away during dinner. Instead of talking to people on facebook or texting your friends, actually talk to the person you are sitting with! Spending time with the people around you is priceless, while your cell phone is not.