• Peer tutors available in library before & after school
  • Follow @thelancerlink on Instagram, Twitter & TikTok
News for the Carlsbad High School Community

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

Chapman steps up to lead the varsity football team

Sophomore Christian Chapman will lead the Varsity football team as starting quarterback in the first home game on Sept. 8. Senior Tanner Wrisley recently found out that he broke his fibula in the St. Augustine game so Chapman will soon feel the pressure of commanding the football team in his first game starting on varsity.

Although this is his second year on the varsity team, Chapman has had several years of experience as a quarterback playing Pop Warner starting at eight years old.

“I wanted to play receiver, but I was tall so the coach put me as quarterback,” Chapman said. “And I’ve been doing well ever since.”

Last year, Chapman’s dedication and hard work paid off when the coaches moved him up from the freshman football team to the varsity team. Rigorous training throughout the year prepared him to move forward as starting quarterback.

“It feels good – not that Tanner was injured – but when a player is injured the next player needs to step up as a leader to command the team,” Chapman said.

Moving from backup to starting quarterback has increased Chapman’s stress to perform perfectly. He releases this level of stress on the field during practices when he gives all of his effort and energy to every play.

“Practices have been tough,” Chapman said. “I have to go 110% each play.”

Senior Dom La Porta, right tackle for the offensive line, recognizes the effort and dedication that Chapman puts into practices every day.

“Christian has superb composure, sound fundamentals and pinpoint accuracy,” La Porta said. “I am confident he will lead our team to another victory.”

Carlsbad comes back in black in the first home game against Torrey Pines on Sept. 30, Chapman’s first game to command the varsity team.

“It’s the first [home] game of the season and everyone should come out and support the team,” Chapman said.