Team Storytelling: Henry turns heads on the runway

As soon as students enter high school, the pressure to make money starts to slowly be exerted on those with a little free time after school.  While many students are busy flipping burgers or bagging groceries, waiting for their next paycheck, one student has found an alternative and decidedly more fashionable way to make money.

When she isn’t busy with school or drumline, freshmen Asia Henry is a teenage model.  Having been approached by a model agency before she was even old enough to be a teen model, Henry was able to give some thought to the idea of having such a high profile career, at such a young age.  And when Henry became eligible, she and her family were completely on board.

“I was approached by No Ties Management modeling agency” Henry said. “It’s always been something I’ve been into and they were out for my best interest so we decided to do it.”

As is the case with any job, there are some definite downsides to being a model.  The pressure to keep a perfect body is extreme.

“You have to have a certain look that can be marketed well” Henry said.  “You have to be on a diet and keep your skin clear.”

And while most students only have to drive 5 or 10 minutes to their jobs, Henry often has to drive to either San Diego or Los Angeles for photo shoots.  These distances may seem extreme, but for Henry, the distances will only keep on getting longer.  If all goes well Henry hopes to go international at which point she could be going to where ever the client as located.  This could be as far away as New York or even Europe.

The unexpectedness of a photo shoot combined with how far away the shoots usually are keep Henry and her parents more than busy.

“It’s a lot of pick and choose” Henry said.  “But since it helps my career and I make more money, it pays off.”

Despite the challenges that come with her job, Henry still remains passionate about it and hopes to make a career out of it.

“I love it so far” Henry said.  “My agency thinks that there is a lot I can do with it.”