McKenna Tollack’s talent takes her across the country and beyond high school

Shelby Rowe, Editor-in-chief
May 1, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Before most kids even found their hidden talent, senior McKenna Tollack already had a grasp on hers, discovering it at the age of seven. This talent was soccer. By the age of 10, she was already traveling out of state on San Diego Surf Club to play in tournaments. Throughout her childhood, it seemed... Read More »

Podcast: Ask Dr. Steitz, episode 2

Podcast: Ask Dr. Steitz, episode 2

Shelby Rowe, Editor-in-Chief
March 20, 2012
Filed under Multimedia, Podcasts

CHS's principal, Dr. Steitz, answers your questions in the March episode of our podcast series, Ask Dr. Steitz.  In this episode, Dr. Steitz and editor-in-chief Shelby Rowe discuss how he likes CHS, when the new parking lot will open, rumors surrounding next year's bell schedule and the latest on budget... Read More »

The Carlsbad Gap: a historical look at one of skating’s most challenging obstacles

Shelby Rowe, Editor-in-Chief
February 24, 2012
Filed under Top Stories

The famous Carlsbad Gap, located at Carlsbad High School, was demolished on Feb. 23 in a $198 million proposition to renovate the high school, marking the end of one of the most historic skateboarding spots in the world. Featured in countless professional skate videos, magazines and photos, the gap’s... Read More »

The Carlsbad Gap: a retrospective of a world-famous skating locale on its final day

Shelby Rowe, editor-in-chief
February 24, 2012
Filed under Campus, Community, News

The famous Carlsbad Gap, located on the south side of the Carlsbad High campus, was demolished on Feb. 23 in a $86 million renovation project to update the 54-year-old school and make way for the new student parking lot.  The removal of the challenging jump marks the end of one of the most historic... Read More »

Podcast: Ask Dr. Steitz, episode 1

Podcast: Ask Dr. Steitz, episode 1

Shelby Rowe, Editor-in-chief
January 29, 2012
Filed under Multimedia, Podcasts

CHS's new principal, Dr. Steitz, answers your questions in the first episode of our new podcast series, Ask Dr. Steitz.  In this episode, Dr. Steitz and editor-in-chief Shelby Rowe discuss Dr. Steitz's background, improving the older buildings on campus, how to apply for the Champion Lancers program... Read More »

North Carolina and Michigan State compete on Carl Vinson

Shelby Rowe, Editor-in-Chief
November 17, 2011
Filed under Featured Sports Scrollbox, Sports

SAN DIEGO-- On Friday, Nov. 11, the basketball teams from the University of North Carolina and Michigan State played on the aircraft carrier, the USS Carl Vinson, in a historic game titled the Carrier Classic to celebrate Veterans Day. “I think it was good to show support on Veterans Day on the... Read More »

Technology obsessed #textingatdinner

Shelby Rowe, Editor in Chief
November 14, 2011
Filed under Opinion

A husband and wife sit together at a romantic table for dinner staring intensely into...their smart phones. They focused on their cool, free apps that it takes their waitress five times to get their attention and to take their order. Now, this scene doesn't seem right, does it? People these... Read More »

Spirit week super hero: TR

Shelby Rowe, Editor-in-Chief
November 4, 2011
Filed under Spirit Week

For the past 43 years, TR, the ASB advisor,  has been spreading Lancer spirit across the campus and has yet to disappoint.  TR's outstanding effort and passion are only the few reasons why Spirit Week is put on year after year, which is why he is Carlsbad High School's Spirit Week Super Hero. Lancer... Read More »

Keeghan Sebahar: On and off duty as president

Shelby Rowe, Editor-in-Chief
October 18, 2011
Filed under Profile

To say that Keeghan Sebahar is a very involved student would be an under statement. After taking on ASB president, AP classes and tons of extra curricular activities, Sebahar has more than enough on her plate for her senior year. “I was so shocked, I didn’t expect to win [ASB president]. I was... Read More »

Paleo, MacNeal have winning week

Paleo, MacNeal have winning week

Shelby Rowe, Editor in Chief
September 18, 2011
Filed under Featured Sports Scrollbox, Sports, Top Stories

After catching a 33-yard pass in the end zone with only one hand from quarter back Tanner Wrisley, senior Saul Paleo not only caught the winning touchdown for Carlsbad but also earned a nomination for Prep Pigskin Report's Play of the Week. “Right when I was throwing the ball, I thought I over threw... Read More »

The final weeks of senior year

Shelby Rowe, Assistant Editor
May 12, 2011
Filed under Student Life

Finally, after long months of studying, projects and countless homework assignments, the 2010-2011 school year is coming to a close. While all the underclassmen look forward to another summer, the Class of 2011 looks forward to the end of the school year festivities before graduating from Carlsbad High... Read More »

Students achieve academic fluency in English

Shelby Rowe, Assistant Editor
April 1, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

On April 1, a celebration for students who reclassified to fluent English proficient occurred in the career center in the guidance office. These 17 students, Ricardo Allencaster, Yasmin Benitez, Raul Calleja, Hugo Caro, Chris Estrada, Jose Garcia, Julia Huerta, Thien-An Le, Tony Le, Nanacy Sanchez, Ricardo... Read More »

Keep it classy Carlsbad: a guide to help class-up our halls

Shelby Rowe, Assistant Editor
April 1, 2011
Filed under Opinion

While walking through the halls in the 3000 building, I often notice the lack of class amongst some of our fellow students here at Carlsbad High School.  It seems as if  Lindsey Lohan and Charlie Sheen have replaced Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as admirable influences in students' eyes. In order... Read More »

Banksy in Oceanside?

Shelby Rowe, Assistant Editor
March 13, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

On February 24, a rat with star-shaped sunglasses, holding a kite embedded with a traffic sign of pedestrian crossing was painted on one of the walls of Oceanside’s Bull Taco. Controversy of whether this masterpiece is a creation of Banksy, the legendary British graffiti artist and Academy Award nominated... Read More »

Students struggle with gay bullying

Shelby Rowe, Assistant Editor
February 9, 2011
Filed under Student Life, Top Stories

More than enough times, both gay and straight students at Carlsbad High School have been victims of gay bullying. Not only do students fail to understand the  impact their words and actions can leave on other students, but also what their fellow gay-supporting students go through on a daily basis. More... Read More »

Womens soccer beats Vista

Shelby Rowe, Assistant Editor
December 23, 2010
Filed under Sports

The Varsity Womens Soccer team has kicked off the season with a victorious start. Winning their first two games and tying their third, the women’s soccer team has already created a great soccer team. On their second game, Wednesday December 8, the women’s varsity team won 4-0 against Vista. During... Read More »

First pep rally pumps up CHS

Shelby Rowe, Assistant Editor
September 9, 2010
Filed under Student Life, Top Stories

It’s C-BAD time it’s C-BAD time! What! What!” roared the cheerleaders as they pumped up the crowd for the first pep rally of the season. But this wasn’t any plain pep rally; this was the first Alarm Clock Pep Rally of the 2010 season broadcasted live by KUSI news. With a new field and new school... Read More »

Oil spill endangers wildlife

Shelby Rowe, staff writer
June 13, 2010
Filed under News

On April 20, a fire broke out on the Transocean Deepwater Horizon oil rig 50 miles from the shore of Louisiana. Out of 126 crew members, 11 did not escape the fire-engulfed rig that eventually sank to the bottom of the ocean floor. Gallons of oil are constantly leaking into the Gulf of Mexico, making... Read More »

Man Hunt Sweeps Across San Diego

Shelby Rowe, Staff Writer
May 11, 2010
Filed under Student Life

Every month, local high school students scramble over fences, sneak through backyards and prowl for prisoners of war. A game of the fittest erupted into a universal experience that crowns one person as the winner. This game tests player’s agility, skill and intelligence in a five... Read More »

The Young and the Jobless

Shelby Rowe, Staff writer
April 10, 2010
Filed under Student Life

In a recent survey, 1,200 seventeen year- old high school students were asked basic questions about American history to determine teen knowledge of American government. One third of these high school students did not know that the Bill of Rights guarantees the freedom of speech and... Read More »